Sunday, January 9, 2011

Where is that horse, anyway?

This week I was determined to get back in the saddle. My 36th birthday was earlier in the week and I'd indulged in too much cake, Chinese, milk and other goodies--not to mention that I was still reeling from the holiday excesses a few weeks prior. Half marathon training is slowly inching closer and I knew I needed to re-establish the habit of daily exercise or I'd never be ready.

Luckily I have several close friends who also needed to reenergize their workout routines, so we established a 7-day exercise challenge with the requirement of at least 30 minutes of exercise a day.

Unfortunately, it's only day 3 and I want to quit.

Friday I did Jillian' 6w6p DVD--a deceptive title to be sure, as my whole body reels after that workout--and yesterday I did something I never thought I'd do. I willingly ran 4 miles on a treadmill. Firstly, I think that was only the second time in my life I'd done 4 miles at once. Secondly, it was my first ever real treadmill run. I feel good for having hit my "long" run goal on a treadmill. It's not something I want to do every day, but at least I know I CAN do it if I need to.

But today. Oh, today. I'm tired, it's cold, snowy and my mother-in-law is here. The last thing I want to do is haul out the laptop and workout in the dining room. If I don't, I have to report today as a failure. And only on day 3? What does that say about my willingness to stick to a tough half mary schedule?

Ugh. So I must do it. I must. Once football is on, I'll steal away to the dining room. Get it over with and be done for the day!

Oh, and I managed 9 miles of running this week for the 500 in 2011 challenge. I didn't count my 45-min spin class since I have no way of gauging how many miles I cover. I'm pleased--9 is my weekly min to hit the 500 this year, so I'm good so far!

Alright. I'm off to do something. No more wasting time.

No comments:

Post a Comment