I'll try to hit the highlights...forgive me if I've already mentioned any of these. I'm forgetful in my old age. ;)
- I bought myself a Garmin 305 for my birthday. I got a sweet deal from a friend who sold me her NIB model (that sat in her house unopened for a year) for a cool $50. I love it! I do tend to get numbers-obsessed, yes, but so far I haven't felt as though the constant knowledge of my pace/time/etc. is becoming a burden. It's certainly coming in handy on long runs, as it reduces some of the need to have to plan a route. And yes, I love seeing my splits and all that other run-nerd stuff.
- I survived 5 weeks of grueling small-group workout sessions with the best trainer in town. One session had us completing at least 7 different styles of burpees (did you even KNOW there were multiple styles?), for a total of about 130 in one hour. Each hour (once a week) left me feeling exhausted in that "oh my gosh, I just worked my ass off and I LOVE IT" way. I had to bow out of the current session due to financial and time constraints, but I really miss the group of ladies in the class, the trainer and the killer workout. I just haven't been able to achieve that same level of intensity on my own. I hope I can join back up again once my spring races are over.
- K and I are in Week 5 of our half marathon training program and everything seems to be going well. We haven't been able to connect at all on weekdays to do any short runs or cross-training together, but we've been keeping up our weekend long runs and those are fantastic. We're scheduled for 8 miles this weekend and I'm already looking forward to it!
- Speaking of K, one of the reasons we haven't been able to connect much is because she is full-on CrossFit lady now. I'm working up the nerve to check out their intro class, which meets Tuesday evenings at 7:30. I admit that I had some misconceptions about CF and was leery of their methods and whether or not the style would be a good fit for me. But K loves it and I know she and I share similar thoughts about fitness, so I figure might as well give it a shot. I hope we can work out a time/day when we can be both there at the same time so someone can hold my hand. I'm scared!
- So, I, uh, might have registered for a sprint triathlon. Yeah, I know. I totally remember saying this. What can I say? I'm a sucker for local, women-only races! Originally K was going to join me but the race filled before she could register. I admit to panicking when I found out she wasn't able to get in (she's on the waiting list), as I still feel like I need a race buddy. But I'm trying to tell myself that it's time to race on my own two feet and that I don't always need to have someone next to me all the time. Yes, I still have my crappy bike, and yes, I still plan to use it in the race unless I find a better one on the cheap. Luckily the race isn't until the end of July so I have plenty of time to train and build up my confidence. Or panic.